Birmingham Child Custody Attorney
Protecting the Best Interests of Your Children in Jefferson County & Beyond
Child custody issues can be among the most contentious legal matters to resolve in a divorce. These disputes often result in long, drawn-out legal battles that can have a lasting impact on you, your spouse, and your children. At Ruth Robinson Law, we approach child custody issues with a goal of helping you resolve your case amicably. However, we are also prepared to take your case to trial and fight for your children's best interests.
Our firm is equipped with the knowledge and skills to help you navigate the often-complicated world of child custody. We are well-versed in all of the relevant laws and regulations, and we have the resources to help you find the necessary evidence to prove your case. We are also experienced in working with your children to help them understand the changes in their lives.
To learn more about how we can help you, contact our firm today.
Types of Child Custody
Child custody refers to the arrangement that determines where a child lives and with whom they spend the majority of their time. There are generally two types of custody:
- Legal custody refers to the right to make decisions regarding your child's health, education, and welfare. This right is shared equally between both parents, unless the court orders otherwise.
- Physical custody refers to the arrangement that determines where your child will reside. This decision is based on the child's best interest.
How Is Child Custody Determined in Alabama?
In Alabama, the court will determine a custody arrangement based on the child's best interest. The judge will consider all of the relevant factors, including:
- each parent's wishes
- the child's preference, if they are of age
- the child's safety
- the child's and parents' physical and mental health
- the child's and parents' habits, customs, and routines
- the ability of each parent to provide the child with food, clothing, and medical care
- the child's interaction and relationships with parents and siblings
- the child's interaction and relationship with siblings, grandparents, and other significant people in their lives
- whether the parents' lifestyles are consistent with the child's upbringing
- whether either parent has an alcohol or drug problem
- whether either parent has a history of domestic violence
- whether either parent's residence is a safe environment for the child
- the child's developmental stage, needs, and abilities
- the parents' abilities to help the child develop physically, intellectually, and emotionally
- the parents' abilities to help the child acquire skills necessary for success in life, including career and social skills
- the ability of the parents to provide a consistent routine for the child
- the parents' abilities to help the child adjust to a change of residence
- the parents' abilities to provide the child with a good education, either at home or in a school or other facility
- the ability to provide the child with a good moral upbringing
- the child's wishes if of age
- the ability of the parents to provide the child with a consistent financial and economic upbringing
- the parents' abilities to help the child develop a healthy sexual identity
- the parents' abilities to maintain a healthy and stable family life for the child
- any evidence of domestic violence, sexual abuse, or substance abuse
How Is Child Support Calculated in Alabama?
When determining child support, the court will look at both parents' incomes and the amount of time the child spends with each parent. The court will then calculate the child support based on the state's child support guidelines. These guidelines use the parents' incomes and the amount of time the child spends with each parent to determine the amount of child support.
Contact Our Firm Today
If you are facing a child custody matter in Alabama, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. At Ruth Robinson Law, you will work with an attorney who is knowledgeable and compassionate. We will work hard to help you reach a favorable custody arrangement. To get started, contact our firm today.
"Great lawyer and dedicated to justice for her clients."
Mrs Robinson is dedicated to Justice and fairness. She is knowledgeable. And honest. She is the best investigative lawyer I've ever known. She don't stop until Justice is served. Mrs Robinson is honest and reasonable and will tell you the truth. Her courtroom knowledge is second to none. She is family oriented. Has a great attitude and is all around a special person. I would recommend her to any one.- James
"She communicated with me throughout the process."She got pretrial diversion for me in my case. She communicated with me throughout the process. She also did not have to return to court with me for the final step but she did!- LeAnn
"GETS RESULTS!!!! PHENOMENAL ATTORNEY!"I have personally watched Ms. Robinson in open court, and she is exactly what you want! She is THE quintessential attorney! Don't hesitate to contact her, she will immediately start working and your case, and she won't disappoint!- David
"She went above and beyond"Due to a misunderstanding, a warrant was issued in Alabama, even though we live in Virginia and hadn't been to Alabama for many years. We were apprehensive about the possibility of traveling to Alabama during these uncertain times. Luckily, Ms. Robinson was able to quickly and professionally interact with local law enforcement and the district attorney's office to get the case dismissed without us having to be there. Throughout her handling of the case, she went above and beyond to make sure we were aware she was doing everything in her power to assist us. We are deeply appreciative of her and her efforts and would HIGHLY recommend her to anyone needing representation.- Lynn
"Amazing and highly recommended."I contacted Ruth Robinson on a Saturday regarding a warrant that was issued for failure to appear. On Monday, she filed a notice of appearance as my attorney and filed a motion to have the warrant recalled. The court told her they’d recall the warrant and set a new court date. Ruth was very professional, diligent, and went above and beyond for me. She listened to everything I told her, requested me to send her several screenshots and filed the necessary paperwork to get the warrant recalled and a new court date. Amazing and highly recommended if you want or need someone who is passionate about practicing law and treating you like you’re a priority.- Terry
"I trust her completely and she has always worked hard for me."Ruth Robinson is a thorough and passionate criminal defense attorney. When I found myself facing criminal charges for something that was completely bogus in a corrupt governmental atmosphere, she has worked with me diligently and continues to do so. I trust her completely and she has always worked hard for me. Better than any attorney I could ask for through and through.- Anonymous